Thursday, March 21, 2019

Thing 14: Bitmoji Fun

Bitmojis
Bitmoji Image Bitmoji ImageBitmoji Image

.....fun, cartoon avatars that add a bit of pizzazz to any project, email, text message, social media posts and more! You can design your character anyway you like. Choose your skin color, hair style, facial features, clothing, and accessories (and more) to make your emoticon look just like you! Sound fun so far? It gets even better! It's FREE and you can get started quickly by vising the Bitmoji web page.  Bitmoji is available on Android and iOS, which makes it easy to use for texting and messaging.



Bitmoji ImageUp until now I have used Bitmoji to send silly pictures to my family via text message or Facebook Messenger. I also sometimes include them in a staff email when I am looking for something to help create a smile of a fun way to say, "thank you!" I have never thought about using them with students, or even yet have students create accounts and use them!  How fun would it be to include a Bitmoji as a comment on student's work? It's kind of like giving them a digital
sticker! Why hadn't I thought of that before now? 🤔  I have to say though that SOME Bitmojis are NOT appropriate for school. (Think middle finger and F-bomb.)  If students are creating accounts for Bitmoiji, a lesson on Digital Citizenship and responsibility would be a must!


As a teacher, I am always trying to find ways to make learning fun for students. I remember as a student in school I LOVED to get stickers on my papers. I loved stickers so much that I had numerous sticker books that I kept to store my "awards" in. Although these Bitmoji stickers aren't scratch and sniff (my favorite sticker) they can add some flair in the classroom. After reading the blog post, Using Bitmoji in Your Classroom, I decided I would give out some Bitmoji stickers when I can. Here are some great ideas I got from the article on how to use Bitmojis in my classroom:


    Bitmoji Image
Drawing attention to a key concept.  There are a few Bitmojis that are pointing to help students quickly see something you want to point out. Maybe a missing name on the paper? Maybe editing errors? The opportunities are endless. 








Reinforcing directions...we all have students who DO NOT read directions. Why not add a little humor to the situation with a Bitmoji? I can almost guarantee you'll get the student's attention using one of these! (Hopefully they don't keep forgetting to follow the directions just to get a sticker?! 😁)     

Please and Thanks  Bitmoji Image Bitmoji Image



Use as a writing prompt! How fun would it be to have a Bimoji displayed on the front board and have students write in a morning journal about what they think is happening? Or, have a few on the board to have students practice first, second, third, etc? Looking through my Bitmojis, I found a few right away that I think would be fun to use with kids. What do you think you'd write if you had any of these displayed on the board...

  Bitmoji Image Bitmoji ImageBitmoji Image



**********************



So far, I have explored how I could use Bitmojis in the classroom. But, how can STUDENTS use them? From the resources that I read, my favorite was called Making Comics with Bitmojis and Google Slides/Drawings, created by Sylvia Duckworth.  Her Google Slide presentation is packed with AMAZING tips on how to successfully use Bitmoji in the classroom with your students. Her guide walks you through how to set up a Bitmoji, how to use them as stickers, templates for comic books, card examples, and so much more! There's even a link to learn how to do an App-Smash using Bitmoji and other apps on the iPad! I think the students would love to learn how to do this (it's on my list for June when the weather is beautiful and the kids get squirly 😉).  Here is a quick example I did using one of the tutorials on the resources listed above:

It was SO easy! I used Google Slides and Bitmoji. The kids will have a blast making their own! You could also have students use Google Drawings to add more! No more buying All About Me posters for your class in the fall....have them make them themselves! 
Bitmoji Image


I had fun exploring articles about how to incorporate Bitmoji into my school day and how I as the teacher can use Bitmojis and how the students can use them too! Looking for more information? Check out some of the resources I used to learn more. 

Bitmoji in the Classroom   (LOVE the "Meet the Teacher" and "Rules and Procedures" poster ideas)


Booksnaps - Snapping for Learning  (Use Bitmoji to do a quick book talk/review)



Students today need exciting, eye-catching, fresh pictures to catch and keep their attention. I think using Bitmoji in the classroom can do just that! Bitmoji is always updating clothing styles to match the seasons or other events (sports) and adding new images. 

Have other ideas on how to use Bitmoji? I would love to hear about them! 
Feel free to comment below. 

Bitmoji Image....but not until my Disney quote of the day!






2 comments:

  1. Thank you! Sometimes my department talks to each other on Google Hangouts using only Bitmojis. It is quite funny sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what Tia said! So many good ideas. And I'm totally stealing your writing prompt idea. :)

    ReplyDelete